Thursday 20 July 2017

Thankful Thursday with Vidock


Vidock: Studly Neighs, EveryFriend! I am remotely posting from the Livet Equine Veterinary Hospital where I am being "held" for a few days.

First of all, I would like to than each and every one of you for the good wishes on the blog yesterday and all the nice, supportive comments on Facebook.

Before we set out, Mr. JP made sure I looked as handsome and clean cut as possible:


It was about a 2 hour drive and I had full in-trailer service:


#1 says I was looking particularly handsome on arrival:


I had the usual battery of tests:




The upshot was that the laser surgery I had last time was only a temporary fix and, to regain my breath and endurance, I would need a more significant surgery called "tie back". Traditionally, that surgery is done under general anesthetic, but  that is considered undesirable for big horses like me. By some extraordinary coincidence, for which we are all hugely thankful, there is now a new variant which is done with the horse standing and sedated rather than knocked out and lying down, and, amazingly, one of the pioneers of the surgery, Dr. Fabrice Rossignol, just happened to be there yesterday (he normally works at another, very famous equine clinic) and was able to operate on me! Isn't that just incredible? He is on the left in this photo:


#1 was so thankful that I was able to have the surgery at the hands of the best in the field! If you want to know more about my condition, and the surgery that was performed on me, there is an excellent article here in which they mention my surgeon!

So, I am here until either the weekend or next Monday, depending on when Mr. JP can come and get me. After that, I shall have to have box rest for a couple of weeks before I can go out gambolling i my field again. Of course, the big advantage of being in a box is that there are no pesky flies!

Thanks again, Pals! we will keep you updated on my progress.

19 comments:

  1. Vidock our paws are still crossed for you... and we hope you are back at home soon.... The mama remembers the cleaning procedure of a gray horse... against all warning she bought a gray horse once and she spent more time with the waterhose than on the back of Prince ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we are sorry you needed more surgery,
    we are glad that the best doctor happened to be there for you :)
    We will keep purring for you to recover and be healthy again.
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincidences are meant to happen, and it is wonderful news that the top man was there to perform your procedure. I wish you a swift and full recovery, Vidock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the article in your link and it is very interesting and amazing the progress that has been made.
      Enjoy your fly free box rest, Vidock.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you had the best surgeon right there at your hooves to fix you up, Vidock! I'm sending purrs for your recovery and I hope you are home and happy very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so thankful that you are on the mend, sweet boy. What an extraordinary day you had!
    Our prayers are with you and we give thanks that not only was the famous surgeon at the hospital but that he was able to perform your procedure that very day.
    All of our love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you had the surgery with the one who made the progressive type surgery possible, for all horses. You are looking especially really handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely thankful Thursday knowing that the extremely skilled surgeon was able to perform this surgery on you. Sending you prayers and good wishes as you recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news all around Vidock! Now you get to have mini vacation sans flies and when you get home, you will hopefully be feeling 100% better! :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's incredible. You are so lucky that the surgeon was there and he got to operate on you! Have a good rest and recover soon, Vidock! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vidock tu étais en plein dialogue avec ton ombre, avant de partir ....
    C'est super d'avoir été là au bon moment pour profiter d'un bon chirurgien.
    Profites bien de tes "vacances" sans mouches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jumping up and down, clapping for Vidock! How fantastic to have a gifted and knowledgeable surgeon work on you. I am sure you'll miss being out with the wind blowing in your mane, but rest is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PeeEss...I found your FB page too, and asked to join!

      Delete
  12. we are sorry the original surgery didn't work, but very glad that such an expert was on hand to fix it this time. purrs for a quick recovery

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so happy you were in the right place at the right time Vidock and we hope you are back home resting soon pal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rock On! How wonderful that the purrayers worked to bring the right doctor to the right place at the right time!
    I hope you get to go home sooner rather than later!
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. We cross our paws for you Vidock ! We're glad an expert was here to re-operate you, and we wish you a quick recovery. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only the best for you Vidock. Hope the surgery is completely successful. Sending healing purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are so glad to hear that the best vet was available for your procedure. Our paws will stay crossed for you and your recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love getting comments.