Wednesday 2 April 2014

Wednesday Whinnies - A Boy at Work!


Vidock: Neeeeighs, Everyone! I Hope you aren't getting bored with me. I promised that I would tell you a little more about my recent training, so here goes.

The work collar that I tried for the first time on Saturday is something that is used when we horses have to pull heavy loads. So that is what you see when a horse is ploughing, or logging, or in the big six or eight-horse hitches. It's a big deal to try one for the first time as some horses find it strange and uncomfortable, but I felt as though I had been born to it (which I have!).

Here is Mr. E adjusting the harness:


We went into the sand school and, at first, it was just the collar, harness and  swingle tree:


Then, Ms. S picked up the chain at the back of the swingle tree, to give it a little resistance:


After that, Mr. E added a smallish tire so that I could feel something dragging on the ground behind me:


And lastly, he put on a big, heavy tire so I had the combination of resistance and weight:


I thought it was pretty cool, and I can't wait for my next lesson!

And It was fun to have the girls watching me as I worked. Can you see Violette in this photo?


Her turn is also going to come although she has already tried a collar, I am told, and was really great with it.

After all that work, I got the full spa treatment from Mr. E!


Here is something cool to finish with. As I worked, #1 kept saying how much I looked like my Daddy, Orgueil. So when she went home, she made this collage. My Daddy is on the left and I am on the right. What do you think?


16 comments:

  1. #1 is right. You do look like your father. In no time at all you would be able to do some amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your training is going very well! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun Vidock. Nothing better than playing in a big sand box. You look just like your daddy
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intersting to learn how the horses are trained to adjust to pulling weight behind them! Vidock, you are a "quick study"! And yes, you are just as handsome as your look alike father :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. great work Vidock!! and you do look very much like your father :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You DO look lots like your dad, Vidock! Great work you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dood! Impressive! You worked so hard we three kitties are exhausted. NAP TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Une dure vie de labeur qui commence Vidock .... je plaisante !
    C'est vrai que la ressemblance est frappante.
    Bonne soirée.
    Nat à Chat

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do, Vidock. You and your Daddy are obviously just that...father and son! Violette looks sweet hanging out over there watching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing very well with your training Vidock, and yes you do look like your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vidock, you handled that training very well - good job!!! And yes, indeed, you look just like your father - two handsome guys.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vidock you are coming along quite well. You look like you are calming down well with weight to pull. You are as handsome as your dad too!
    Marty's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vidock, you are doing so well! And you do look like your handsome dad. You will make an excellent working horse - maybe soon you can help #1 clear some of that hedge debris left by the imbeciles......

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do look like your dad! Both very handsome!! It is so much fun reading all about your training adventures! Your tire puts the one Chrome pulled to shame hehe. I wonder if he could pull a big tractor tire if he slowly built up to it. Too bad we don't have a nice sand arena to work in.. I should probably stick with a regular tire. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love getting comments.