Thursday 13 October 2016

Thankful Thursday With The Big V


Vidock: Neighs, EveryFriend! Yes, it's me, The Big V, remote posting from my luxury accommodations at the Centre Hospitalier Vétérinaire Equin in St. Michel de Livet. Are you guys cheese fans? Because this place is just outside a town called Livarot and, just down the road, there is also a place called Camembert...

Anyneigh, here I am and I actually had my surgery yesterday! It was scheduled for this afternoon, but the surgeon had time, so they decided to just go ahead and do it! Everything went really well, and I am now lounging in recovery in my ultra-luxurious box. Mr. JP is busy today, so I probably will be going home tomorrow afternoon. It's a two hour trip from here to there, so a bit of a trek.

The problem I have is actually called ROARING, as in "Hear Me ROAR!". It is generally idiopathic, so nobody knows why it happens, but one of the two pieces of cartilage that are located in the larynx and open and close to let air through becomes paralysed over time, staying in the closed position, so the flow of air through the larynx is reduced. That's why I was getting so out of breath. They did check my heart first and it seems I have the heart of an athlete! So, they did surgery using an endoscope and a laser. It's called a ventriculocordectomy. Can you say that three times quickly? I only had a local anesthetic. #1 tells me she and Mr. JP will come and get me on Friday afternoon. I am supposed to get 1-2 weeks of box rest, followed by another month of vacation, and then I can return to work.

I don't have any pics of the surgery, obviously, but here are a few that #1 took of me yesterday, when I was getting examined.

The vet checking my heart:


I also got something called a "bag test" to check my breathing. They literally put a bag over your nose!


And then the one really unpleasant bit, the endoscopy to check my airways. Yikes! It goes in through the nose.


Check out my roomy accommodations!


And I have pals on all sides too!


So, today, we are all thankful that we finally know what was causing my problem, and that the surgery is over and done with. And we are thankful to Mr. JP who took me all the way there, and will come and get me tomorrow.
 

23 comments:

  1. Vidock, we are so happy that your problem was one that could be fixed.
    We know you are getting great care and will soon be home.
    Enjoy your vacation and getting spoiled a bit :)
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got your ROAR taken care of, Vidock! I'm sending purrs to you for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! I'm glad your surgery is over and you are recovering!
    Get a good rest now, and I hope you make quick full recovery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're enjoying your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're delighted that you are recovering well Vidock and will be going home tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so happy to hear you are going to be all better soon. Enjoy your rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are glad they figured it out and that surgery could help. purrs to a quick recovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so happy for you we have tears in our eyes. We are praying for a uneventful recovery and a safe trip home.
    Say, your accommodations do look quite delux. Makes staying in the hospital a bit easier, don't you think?
    Are there any pretty girl horses around to admire you?
    Love to you, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy you are on the mend Big V, we love ya pal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're so happy everything went well for you, Vidock ! We wish you a good recovery ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad your surgery went well Vidock, and that you will be going home tomorrow. I am purring for a good recovery for you and a relaxing convalescence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your feeling better! Thank's for visiting our blog, Pixie will be coming out here in the woods NEXT WEEK!💙

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful news, Vidock. I am thrilled to have your heart be so good - and your lungs, too.

    I am also so impressed that you were such a good boy for them while they did the procedure! Good for you!

    Enjoy your stay and trip home.

    Love,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just wonderful news Big V. We look forward to seeing you back home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vidock! I'm so glad that you are all better now! You sure are a trooper to go through all those procedures... especially the one with the bag over your nose! It sounds like you received the best care. I always knew you had a big heart. Lol! I'm so happy for you! Yeah! You get to come home tomorrow. I'm sure the clan has been worried about you. Happy, happy day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big V, glad your procedure went so well. Speedy and complete recovery. Sending lots of purrs to you that you are out in the field and working real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All we can say is that you are one lucky Big Boy to have #1 as your human. She always takes the best care of all of her animals. We are so happy you have had that surgery and that all is sounding good. Rest well. We have your in our thoughts and prayers.

    Woos - Lightning and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. C'est super Vidock d'avoir trouver la cause de ton problème, et d'avoir pu la supprimer.
    En plus maintenant tu as gagné .... des vacances.
    "L’hôtel" avait l'air plutôt confortable.
    Bonne soirée
    Nat à Chat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Vidock! mes so glad that they can fix the problem! Wes was a little worried. Rest, enjoy your vacation and soon yous can bes back doing all those fun things that yous does!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are glad the surgery went well. Sorry we didn't get by until today. We hope you are already home. Healing purrs and lots of love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry that you had to have a procedure, but I'm so glad that it was for something relatively minor versus what #1 was worried about. Take care Vidock!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sorry that you had to have a procedure, but I'm so glad that it was for something relatively minor versus what #1 was worried about. Take care Vidock!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WHAT a relief Vidock. You had mim and me worried!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love getting comments.